Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inspiration at the Dollar Store


I was planning a lesson on light for the night class I teach, and I was looking around for some items that the students could photograph using flashlights. The intention was for us to be able to explore the way light changes your composition.


I needed to stop at the dollar store and pick up a few more little flashlights to use. While I was there, I decided to take a look around and see if there were a few things we could use as subjects. The more I looked, the more I noticed... Glasses, vases, Christmas lights, and otherwise tacky little decorations suddenly became possible works of art. I could see the way the light reflected from their surfaces, and knew that with just a little creativity, these cheap items could make awesome compositions.


By the time I'd left, I'd gathered a collection of objects that not only would I use in class, but I also couldn't wait to experiment with them myself.


Who knew such inspiration could be found at the dollar store?


No comments: